Monday, October 18, 2010

Need your help

Okay Folks, today is the day that I get to go to the design center and pick out all the options for our house, yay!
Lets hope we find out that our loan went through today as well. I'll keep you posted on that, but lets focus on the fun stuff for now.

Here's the deal, as mentioned before, I am limited to builder standard options for the most part, although we managed to work in an allowance for the flooring we want, a light colored wood laminate floor throughout the downstairs.



Something like this.

I am really hoping they have what we are looking for, otherwise its going to be difficult to come up with an alternative.

I have been working on a few design ideas, mostly for the kitchen. After searching through hundreds of pictures online we decided that a dark laminate counter would look best in the kitchen. It offers a great contrast to the oak cabinets we will have, and will be even better if we eventually paint them white.

It's so hard to be sure though. I was trying out an online room designer the other day and came up with a rendering that has light counters and looked surprisingly better than most of the other examples I had seen. I am also concerned that with black appliances, the overall look will be too dark and I love a light airy kitchen.

So you've seen the previous post with the oak cabinet remodel. Here is another kitchen we love. This would be the goal eventually, but in the meantime we need something that works with oak now and white later.

The picture below is from the kitchen designer I tried out. This is not our kitchen layout, but the wall color, cabinets and floors are the general idea that we are going for.
EXCEPT...this is the picture that made me wonder if a light counter would be better. It actually contrasts well with the oak and ties in the lighter floors. However, I don't think it would work as well if we paint the cabinets white at some future date.

Here is the same kitchen with dark counters. They look green to me for some reason, not what I am going for, but can you see the difference? And then imagine black appliances on top of that.


The picture above shows a kitchen with black appliances and black counters. I think it looks nice, but it is a bit on the dark side. If the walls were a much lighter shade and the floors not so grey (but rather a bright sunny laminate) do you think it would make a huge difference?

Here is the design board I came up with that incorporates oak cabinets, dark counters, future backsplash idea, and the light floors. What I think is a nice compromise allowing for a progression towards white cabinets at a future time (if I actually do it). The backsplash would be another nicety and future project.

So what do you think??? Especially about the counters. Should I stick with my design board? Should I go for a lighter counter? When I actually see the real possibilities today, everything that I've done might just fly out the window, but I want to be prepared.
And I want your thoughts as well!

7 comments:

  1. I like the darker counter idea for stain purposes. We have light wood counters and they get stained with coffee and red wines- I really like the gray granite countertops- but I think that's the most expensive option. I like the idea of painting the cupboards- but why get oak if you're going to paint it? I think Home Depot or IKEA have great design centers you can go and pick stuff out and see what it looks like. What about going with a cheery paint color on the walls to contrast the dark appliances/countertop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the light floor. The black counter top will look great with white cabinets and black appliances. But if you do not change the wood cabinets, I would go for a lighter counter top. What are the color options on the counters?
    Ich drücke Dir die Daumen, damit alles klappt heute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brennie! Thanks for sending this along. It's all so beautiful. You know, you have to pick what you like. Personally....and this is just me...I really like the white cabinets and black counter top....and black appliances. But if you are going to have the oak cabinets....hum...the thing is for me....I actually like the white counter tops better but I might like having white counter tops for functionality...they might stain up and show stuff more...not sure. I agree with you about the darkness of having dark counter tops and dark appliances....I'm all about having a light kitchen. I am probably just making you more confused....but again...this is just ME...you pick what YOU like...and either way, it's still beautiful. I do agree with the first writer though...if you may paint them...why oak...or why not now? I'm not in on all your thoughts...while the kids are small, you'll have oak and later you'll do white??? Anyway...Let me know what your plans are for the holidays. Never did hear back. All my love to everyone. Auntie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have to have black appliances? I have stainless not so thrilled with those either...I say get white and stay light in your kitchen... the dark counters may be too dark...Is there an in between option? Just another thing to think about...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Fun! I've done this a couple of times, and I know it isn't easy, so just a few thoughts. When you are there, see if in addition to just seeing the small samples with each other, they have spec homes that show those combinations so you can see the whole thing. Second, don't discount the sales person opinion, as they know what combinations they would pick if it was a spec, and those are usually good, at least they can tell you if they would/or not, pick your idea for a spec. Anyway, I'm definitely for the black appliances, those look great. The rest, wow, I'm stressing with you, so many options :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, there are tons of in between options for the counters...I just don't want it to all blend together. I like the contrast. We can do white or black appliances. I would do stainless in a heartbeat if it were a choice, but its not. The reason I like stainless is its reflective properties. I'm choosing black because it is more contemporary although depending on what they have to offer I might change my mind :) Heidi, I like your idea of a cheery color to lighten up the kitchen. Michelle, I appreciate all your advice for the actual appointment. For more info about why oak etc, see a few posts below. Thanks to everyone for your input!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I hope I'm not too late commenting...But I love the white cabinets! (I know you won't have them until later, but my last kitchen was all white, and I loved it!!)
    I like the darker counter, I think. I like the contrast. Are you doing black white or stainless for your appliances? If you are going black, then definitly the darker counters. I do like the light floors!! Just trust yourself!! If you like it, then it works!!!

    ReplyDelete