Monday, October 18, 2010

Garden

One of the things that I was excited about when we first went out to this neck of the woods or the desert in the case of Utah, was that there are several community gardens sprinkled amidst rows of darling, colorful homes. Apparently a plot is hard to come by these days as the community gardens are in high demand and people come out to socialize, teach their children and of course grow a garden. They even have their own local farmers market and this year collected surplus veggies to sell for charity. I don't know if i will be a community gardener, but I sure like the idea that they incorporated this into the design of things. I hope to design our side yard with a little vegetable garden. That is a heavenly thought for me.

This year, I had my own tiny little garden off the back porch. I
had a thriving tomato plant, a decorative container and a few pumpkin plants. Although the pumpkin plant thrived, it took quite a while before I finally saw the fruits of my labor late in the summer when a pumpkin actually started to grow. The plant is huge. I was really exp
ecting more pumpkins, but this cute pumpkin is really all we need for Sophie. Just a couple weeks ago though, another started to grow, however I don't think it is all pumpkin. I am pretty sure it is a cross with a squash. It is now affectionately labeled "Oliver's pumpkin".

I can't wait until Sophie's pumpkin is completely orange and we get to pick it. I sure hope that happens sometime this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment