Friday, October 15, 2010

Builder Options

No one likes oak cabinets and vinyl floors and one tone paint, but that is what most builder homes come with included. Can I just propose something?? Can we embrace builder options as economical, practical and a good starting point?? Okay, I am obviously saying that to myself, because that is exactly what I need to do. So instead of lamenting that I won't have granite or even corian counters, no hard woods and upgraded fixtures I am trying my best to design a pretty home that we will love within the bounds set by the builder. I will have some color choices and there is always room for future DIY projects down the road.
I recently read a blog post from a corporate interior designer. She was touting the awesomeness of linoleum. Linoleum?? What?? You mean that orange stuff that was in our kitchen growing up that my grandma had chosen sometime in the 70's?? So I learned a bit about linoleum from her post. Note: linoleum and vinyl are two different things. Linoleum is actually a surprisingly green choice for one; made with natural materials it is on of the healthier choices for homes and the environment. It is extremely durable as well and actually gets more durable with time.


The above picture is a vinyl sheet linoleum and looks surprising similar to the tile in foyer of Andre's parents home.
http://tinyurl.com/25rdkqc


Our new house comes with vinyl flooring (made of chemical compounds) in the kitchen/dining area, pretty standard. Vinyl is the cheapest flooring option but it has come a long way too. Some of the new designs actually look really nice. Benefits: Its a softer floor and doesn't get cold or chip the way tile can. So don't feel bad about vinyl :)


This is an embossed vinyl floor, picture compliments of trendzine.com
http://tinyurl.com/345qtoe

Undoubtedly not going to be an option for us, but its cool to know that something ultra economical and cool exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment