Friday, October 15, 2010

The Journey

A few weeks ago we made the fairly firm decision not to buy a house. We had decided this at various other points for various reasons, but there was never a complete feeling of peace about that decision. There was always something I couldn't let go of...until just a few weeks ago when I finally felt fine and good about staying where we are. So it might seem strange that we just bought a house right?? Well, it was the result of a chain of small and simple events. And what comes of small and simple things?? You got it, great things!
First, we learned that Andre's parents might be moving back this year. We live in their beautiful home, in a beautiful area at present and attend a wonderful ward and live in a great community. Nothing was for sure though and it would still be a while away, so that was just a tiny factor. Second, I had meant to unsubscribe from the real estate emails I receive, but had not done so yet. I just deleted them without looking. However, last Wednesday I was helping with visiting teaching interviews and during a quiet moment I quickly browsed through the email. My heart sank or jumped or something I wasn't expecting when I saw the house I had fallen in love with last March/April. My heart rate speeded up and I got nervous and excited all of the sudden, completely unexpectedly. I forwarded the email to Andre and then called him. I very simply said, I just want you to think about it, that's it, just think about it. Well after a little bit of thinking and a little bit of discussing we were thinking about putting in an offer. I eventually learned that it wasn't the exact house I thought it was, same model but built 2 years earlier just down the street from the builder spec I had been wanting 6 months ago. It was a short sale, but the agent claimed it could be closed on within 30 days and it was a great price and had a lot of upgrades. When our realtor and friend called on it just a few days after it had been listed, it already had an offer on it. Another notch in our belt, but it got us thinking. We decided to drive out to our original suburban oasis. I didn't want to go. I know what happens when we go out there, but we did anyway. It was a family outing. We looked at some really cool model homes with some really cool features. We drove by the two rows of spec homes I watched go from framing to drywall stage through the spring and into the summer. On Monday I drove out to see what was still left of those. On Tuesday night, Andre drove by and checked out the better one of the two left. On Wednesday night we were sitting in the sellers office signing papers and buying the house. The funny thing about it is, it wasn't my favorite house, not even close really. I had walked through it a long time ago and didn't give it a second thought. But the more I think about it, the more it makes sense for us and the more I like it. The size and price and interest rate we got made it possible. As well as support from family. And that's how it happened. We are buying a house. Now onto the fun part. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment