Friday, May 27, 2011

A New Appreciation for Topsoil


While putting in our side yard we have had to clear a lot of rocks and dig several holes for our plants. The ground out here is nothing but clay and rocks. You can't put a shovel to it without hitting a rock or 20. Needless to say, it has been quite the task to put anything in the ground.

Growing up, the family business was a sand and gravel company. My grandparents and all their kids contributed in the mining operation where they mined and sold topsoil and sand. Today as I dug several holes in our yard I couldn't help but have a new appreciation for rich topsoil, the kind that is found on the family property.

I feel slightly like Scarlet O'Hara from Gone with the Wind when she comes to understand her relationship to Tara.

2 comments:

  1. I can´t wait to see your side yard! It will look so beautiful, and you will have the best view from your kitchen, and Sophie and Oliver will enjoy it sooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait until we have grass for them to play on instead of dirt!

    ReplyDelete