Monday, November 8, 2010

Carpet and Carpet Pad Density



I was looking through our design center documents today at all the choices we made, as they are starting to become a reality. I was looking at the standard carpet pad for some reason, which is 6 lbs. 7/16". I had no idea what that meant. Do you?

Simply put, the pad weighs 6 lbs. per cubic foot. I ran across a bit of a debate about carpet pad density and whether or not a carpet pad upgrade is necessary. I think I am on the side of upgrade your carpet, not the carpet pad. I found an interesting commentary here, which talks about the "truth" about carpet pad density. I found it comforting and amusing.
The simplest answers about my carpet choice (ie.builder grade) I found were here. So our carpet is designed to last about 4-8 years. But I "hear" that its more on the 4 year end. I think that will suit our needs just fine for now. If it looks ultra dingy in 5 years, maybe we will have the funds to upgrade.

Also a tip I got from my design center friend. Go to Lowes/HomeDepot and find a higher end, in stock, patterned carpet you like (they usually have these remnants for much cheaper than the ones that they are trying to sell you up front). Have them cut you a large piece that will almost fill the size of your living area and have them bind it. Place it on top of your existing carpet, kind of like a high end, ultra large area rug.

Color: I was really attracted to all the lighter color options for carpets, but I thought better of it. With a rambunctious 2 year old and a newborn, light carpet might be asking for trouble, especially a low grade light carpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment